13.4.08

SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services and Vista Service Pack 1

On Friday I was setting up my new company's laptop (Dell Latitude D630, review/opinion comes later), shipped with Vista Business. First I set up SQL Server 2005 (all components - AS, IS and RS), and afterward I downloaded and installed all available updates. Suddenly, I could not work with Reporting Services anymore. When trying to connect to the Report Manager in IE and to the instance of Reporting Services in Management Studio, I was getting a message that remote host refused connection. Very unpleasant, taking into account that Reporting Services is my main tool.

I asked our well-known friend - Mr. Google - about possible solutions of the issue. Searching through the proposals, I found the right one. Since the combination - SQL Server 2005 + MS Vista Business - is not rare (and is expected to show up more and more often in the business world), I decided to post that solution here, with a hope, that this will help others. The original of the article (in German) can be found here:

http://www.ct-systeme.com/ct/tipps/Seiten/VistaSP1SQL2005RS.aspx

"It can happen that SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services installed on the Vista-equipped PC will not work after installing MS Vista Service Pack 1. The installation of the Service Pack 1 ran smoothly and error-free, but reports from SSRS are not available anymore.

The symptoms can be:
(1) requests to http://localhost/reports end with error message about failed connection attempt;
(2) requests to http://localhost/reportserver end with an "HTTP 403.1" error message ("Forbidden");
(3) you may find error messages about failed connection attempt to 127.0.0.1:443 in the log files of the Reporting Services, although you don't use HTTPS/SSL;

The solution is easy if you know the reason: the installation of the Service Pack 1 revoked the "Execute script" right of the virtual folder ReportServer. To resolve the issue, do the following:
(1) Start IIS Manager
(2) Navigate to the virtual folder ReportServer (Computer Name->site where SSRS was installed)
(3) Double-click symbol "Handler mappings" in the central part
(4) Select link "Edit feature permissions" in the right part of the screen - "Task area"
(5) Make sure that Read and Script are enabled (Execute is not required). Installation of the Service Pack 1 has disabled Script option)
(6) Click OK
(7) Close IIS Manager

Reporting Services must work immediately afterwards. Restart is not required."

So, I hope this solution will save your time and energy. I will appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Andrey

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This problem has resulted in considerable pain for me. I wish I'd found your article sooner! Thanks for taking the time to post it, it'll save me and others a lot of time in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Andrey

I've just spent 10 hours trying to figure out why my reporting services installation on Vista x64 wouldn't work.
It's ridiculous that the main reason for the error is Microsoft turning off features themselves in SP1.

Anyway, a small correction to point number 3, it is called "Handler Mappings" in IIS and "Edit Feature Permissions..." in point 4.

Thanks again, you've probably saved me several days of searching for a solution.

Cheers

Andrey said...

Helle Henrik

thanks for your feedback. Actually, this issue costed me also a couple of hours of googling. So, I decided to make my results public, hoping that it will save the time of others. And you confirm, that I made the right thing. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have Vista Ultimate with SP1. The features you mention are already enabled. My problem however is that the ReportManager home page is almost completely blank!
On WinXP its just fine!
Any ideas why this is happening?
Bob

Andrey said...

Hello Bob,

as far as I know, Windows Vista has higher security standards. In WinXP "System administrator" role of SSRS was automatically assigned to the members of "Administrators" user group (I mean here Windows group). In Vista you must do it explicitly. Besides, you must ensure that ReportManager is in the list of trusted sites/locations of IE (I suppose, you use IE, don't you? :-) )

Try to search Google for something like "Installing SSRS on Windows Vista" (and limit yourself to the Microsoft.com domain). You must find a Technet/Support article of Microsoft related to all the little tricks, which actually together enable SSRS on Vista.

I hope, I could help you.

Cheers,
Andrey

Anonymous said...

I have Vista Business here on my home PC. I also have SQL Server 2005, along with SSAS, SSIS and SSRS installed. I am training myself in Business intelligence. Just finished SS2005 Implementation and Maint.
I was able to bring up http://localhost/Reports, as indicated in the MS Press 70-445 training manual. IIS components were enabled, and SSRS was accessible in SSMS.
Wed, Sept 3, Vista SP1 was installed. SSRS would not run in SSMS and the above localhost link was inaccessible.
I tried your solution in IIS Manager, and was able to get SSRS up in SSMS, but got encryption errors. The localhost link still is not accessible.

To add insult to injury, I just bought a laptop so I could install the software and take the laptop with me to study while at my shore house... laptop has Vista Home Premium, which does not have the correct IIS features, and SSRS cannot be selected during install.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Charlie B.

Andrey said...

Hello Charlie,

as far as I can understand, you have actually two issues:
1) encryption issue with desktop installation of the SSRS;
2)IIS issue with laptop;

Is it correct?

At the present I'm a bit short on time, but I will come back to your problems in this blog in a day or two. Perhaps, I will be able to help you.

Andrey said...

Charlie, are you still interested in the solutions? If so, please, let me know here - I will go on the discussion.

If your issues are resolved already, feel free to post the solutions here - make the life of others easier. :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks! You've saved me hours...

Savior Faire said...

Vista Home does not allow ssrs report manager to be installed(and run) due to Window Auth not showing in IIS. Funny, I just acquired a new pc that has Vista Business(to replace a defective one) and went through the same pain with getting Report Manager up.
I do recall coming across this solution and it worked like a charm.
Thanks, Charlie B

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I was running windows server 2008 and SSRS 2005.... and this fixed it for me!

Andrey said...

You are welcome! Nice that people still use my information.