26.6.07

Siemens CX65 under Linux

Hi,

today I decided to try to connect my Siemens CX65 to the laptop under Debian Linux. Actually, I would like to use the modem of that phone to send faxes when under Linux or when I'm far from the landlines.

Short googling gave me a very nice page: http://www.cx65.de/Linux.1044.0.html. It contains very good description of the process, and I managed to connect my phone within minutes. Unfortunately, the page is in German. So, I decided to translate it here - perhaps, somebody need this information too.

Prerequisites for the successful connection are available USB port on the laptop and - which is much more important - genuine data cable DCA-510 from Siemens. To connect your phone, do the following:

1) connect your phone to the laptop using data cable;
2) issue command "modprobe pl2303" (you must be root to run modprobe!)
3) issue command "tail -f /var/log/messages". You must get something like this:

kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
kernel: usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
kernel: pl2303 2-2:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
kernel: usb 2-2: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
kernel: usbcore: registered new driver pl2303
kernel: drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.12

4) issue command "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices". You must get something like this:

T: Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=067b ProdID=2303 Rev= 2.02
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=pl2303
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 10 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

5) finally, check that the built-in modem was recognized. With command "ls -al /dev/ttyU*" you must see that there is a modem with name ttyUSB0;
6) install small program named "scmxx": apt-get install scmxx;
7) try to read the information of your phone with "scmxx --device /dev/ttyUSB0 --info". You must see the complete information about your phone: ID of the SIM-card, name of the provider, state of the battery, etc. If this is the case, congratulations - your phone is accessible for the Debian. :-)

What you do next, depends on you. There are a couple of ways to retrieve the data from the phone. I need its modem... So, I will look for the way to create a kind of virtual printer, which can be used "to print" my documents to the modem - and send it as fax. If you know such a way, please, tell me - I will appreciate any hint.

Regards,
Andrey.

No comments: